Why We Build 2017
A few stats on the need for affordable housing in New Orleans:
- 58% of single mothers in New Orleans live below the poverty line.
- 48% of children in New Orleans live in single-mother homes.
- 84% of respondents in domestic violence programs report that they need help with finding affordable housing.
- 55% of households in New Orleans are rentals.
- The median income of renters in New Orleans is $24,000.
- The annual income needed to rent a 2-bedroom home at fair market rent in New Orleans is $38,000.
- 38% of renters in New Orleans pay more than half of their income on rent.
- Over 12,000 rental households live in units with moderate to severe physical problems.
- The New Orleans waiting list for Section 8 vouchers is 28,000 people long and only opens every seven years.
- The annual income needed to own a median-priced home in New Orleans is $54,000.