New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity builds homes in partnership with donors, volunteers and partner families. Families seeking to become a Habitat Homeowner will work side by side with volunteers to build a house that they can forever call home. Their 350 hours of “sweat equity” in lieu of a traditional down payment will begin their journey to homeownership.
How to be a Habitat Homeowner
Warranty Claim Form
We are pledged to the letter and spirit of U.S. policy for the
achievement of equal housing opportunity throughout the nation. We
encourage and support an affirmative advertising and marketing program
in which there are no barriers to obtaining housing because of race,
color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, national origin, age,
marital status, sexual orientation, or sources of income.
“Habitat is the only nonprofit that I know of that not only shelters someone, but works on a long-term solution to keep that person sheltered forever.” – Gerald Duhon, NOAHH Board Member
Homeownership Hotline: (504) 861-2077 ext. 247
New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity has learned that a man falsely identifying himself as a Habitat employee has approached one Gentilly homeowner to gain entrance into the home for fraudulent reasons. New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity does not solicit homeowners for repairs by going door-to-door or making cold calls. Please click here for more information.
Habitat for Humanity believes that all hard-working individuals and families
should have access to the benefits and stability of homeownership. In this
belief, we are committed to partnering with families to build simple, decent,
and affordable housing.
The low cost of our homes is made possible by the exceptional support of our
community. Building costs remain low thanks to impressive donations and generous
volunteerism. These factors make it possible to sell our homes to accepted families
with a 0% interest loan and at no profit.
If you or someone you know is interested in applying to be a homeowner through
Habitat for Humanity, please consider our three criteria:
Learn about some of New Orleans Habitat for Humanity's Partner Families.
Need for Housing
Ability to Pay
Willingness to Partner
Overview of the Process for Buying a Habitat Home
- After determining that you meet our three criteria, please schedule an intake meeting with one of our Family Services Case Managers by calling (504) 861-2077.
- Our Family Selection Committee will then review your application and conduct a home visit to determine your approval for the homeownership program.
- Once approved, you will be asked to sign a Partnership Agreement.
- You are then eligible to start earning sweat equity. Each family is required to contribute 350 hours of sweat equity in place of a down payment.
- Once your family complete 50 sweat equity hours, you will be eligible to see the list of lots available for construction of your home.