New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity has been a part of the New Orleans community for over 30 years. In that time, the affiliate has built over 550 homes and, between 2006 and 2012, contributed more than $300 million in economic impact. NOAHH was one of the first organizations to begin rebuilding after the storms and floods of 2005, and our programs have expanded since then to meet the continuing needs of the area. The families served by our affiliate are the keepers of tradition and culture that make our city unique and the hard working people that contribute so much to our communities. To work for NOAHH is to work for the preservation and improvement of the city of New Orleans.
NOAHH currently employs about 40 staff, including AmeriCorps members, part time, and full time employees as construction staff, ReStore staff, and office staff. We are committed to New Orleans and the fight against poverty housing, and a highlight of the experience is the opportunity to work alongside our partner families and see the tangible results of our efforts to change lives and communities.
Cover letter and resumes should be addressed to:
New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity Human Resources
2900 Elysian Fields Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70122
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE!
New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a drug free workplace. Women and minority-owned businesses are encouraged to apply.
Opportunities for Sub-Contractors
New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity invites contractors with the following trades to apply for current opportunities: HVAC, Foundation, Electrical, Plumbing and Sheetrock. Please provide your contractor’s license number (as appropriate), proof of insurance, and a list of jobs and references as well as contact information to email@example.com. Applications accepted via email only.
A Brush With Kindness Crew Leader
Are you handy with home repair? Do you get along well with others? Can you wield a paint brush and a power saw with equal skill? Join our team as our A Brush With Kindness (ABWK) Crew Leader! ABWK projects help local homeowners who might not be able to repair their homes get the maintenance they need. If you have a passion for helping those in need and a yearning to impart your knowledge and craft in construction, we want you on our team! You must have experience in construction, be able to manage a team and have excellent verbal communications skills. This is your opportunity to put your experience to work and connect with volunteers and partner families. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume to apply.
The Construction Manager (CM) is responsible for directing, managing and overseeing residential construction project work sites; directing, leading and managing construction staff, sub-contractors and volunteers. The CM is also responsible for managing administrative function, inter-department communications with Family Services, Volunteer Services, Fundraising, etc., and project quality assurance programs related to construction.
Essential Job Functions
- Knowledge and ability to build quality homes, and to read architectural plans, structural plans, foundation plans, surveys, etc.; ability to perform take-offs and estimating; work within a budget
- Provide leadership and management during all phases of new home construction while ensuring the construction of quality homes
- Supervise construction staff/house leaders as they build new homes with volunteers
- Oversee all aspects of construction work sites, including the effective utilization of volunteers while providing a positive volunteer experience
- Set and implement build schedules, coordinate work assignments with construction staff and ensure construction is completed timely and properly
- Coordinate with construction staff regarding the day-to-day work to ensure tasks are completed, including material orders, scheduling of sub-contractors, inspectors, construction milestones, etc.
- Manage the minor home repair/accessibility program
- Possess the ability and construction knowledge/experience to renovate homes
- Interface with the Family Services Department, Volunteer Services Department, etc. to meet goals and objectives
- Work closely with the Purchasing Department
- Implement construction department policies & procedures
- Actively participate in the implementation and execution of the NOAHH’s strategic plan, as it pertains to construction
- Milestone tracking and progress reporting
- Ensure that all staff and volunteers work safely and have proper safety equipment and instruction.
- Ensure work sites are kept clean and orderly
- Manage tool inventory
- Support a positive atmosphere at the job sites
- Serve as an ambassador for NOAHH and Habitat
- Support the mission of NOAHH
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum 7+ years construction experience
- College degree, or equivalent training/experience in Construction Management preferred.
- Knowledge of building codes, zoning, etc.
- Knowledge of green building techniques
- OSHA 10 Certified preferred
- Lead Based Paint Certified preferred
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Highly organized
- Possess patience, the ability to train skilled and unskilled people
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to work with diverse personalities
- Ability to maintain and manage work for multiple properties and priorities while adhering to a schedule